Heroes of the DragonQuest
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» Character Progression
Cleave EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 1:38 am by Celestria

» List: Weapon Styles
Cleave EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 1:31 am by Celestria

» List: Vocations
Cleave EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 1:29 am by Celestria

» How to play the game
Cleave EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 1:26 am by Celestria

» Building a Character
Cleave EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 12:59 am by Celestria

» Hero Template
Cleave EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 2:55 pm by Celestria

» Player Input Needed
Cleave EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 4:38 am by Crucent

» Breaking the Monotony
Cleave EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 1:48 pm by Crucent

» Clock of the Fates
Cleave EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 2:34 pm by Ghost

Navigation
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Statistics
We have 28 registered users
The newest registered user is callousdiva11

Our users have posted a total of 1093 messages in 194 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 160 on Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:58 am

Cleave

2 posters

Go down

Cleave Empty Cleave

Post by Gareth Numitor Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:33 pm

Name: Cleave

Appearance: Weapon cleaves unarmored opponent as below:
Head: (downswing) Cleaves targets head, as long as its within reach, killing that head unless some sort of magic heals the wound immediately.
Chin to Groin: (downswing) Cleaves target bipedal creature (humanoid) from chin to groin, killing target unless some sort of magic heals the wound immediately.
Groin to Chin: (upswing) Cleaves target bipedal creature (humanoid) from groin to chin, killing target unless some sort of magic heals the wound immediately.
Chest to Chin: (upswing) Cleaves target quadrapedal (or more) creature from chest to chin. Mortal, but perhaps not immediately so (post or two, especially if charging) unless some sort of magic heals the wound immediately.
Sundered: Smaller creatures, such as rodents, small game, etc, can be completely cleaved in two. In special cases, small rocks and thin trees can be cleft as well as long as the blade is sharp and the wielder is strong.

Weapon-type: Heavy swords and battle axes

Effect: The attack requires one post to get the blade swinging once the target has been named. If the target has not blocked, dodged, or otherwise evaded the swing, the target is cleaved in the manner described, killing the target. Basically, unless you're cornered or immobilized, it's not likely to hit you.

Range: Short range melee, length of sword at full swing

Skill Point Cost: 10sp

Special Notes: Target does not need to be stationary for the attack to inflict damage (charging, for example), however the attack can easily be dodged or otherwise evaded, as it takes a post to get the blade swinging. This skill requires the use of a very heavy weapon to be effective, as well as the user proportionally within the ability to wield that weapon. This is also a two handed attack. This attack has only a minor increase in effectiveness against armored targets and no additional increase against large targets. If this attack is blocked, the target or normal blocking item (weapon or shield) will still sustain some damage, as nothing can sustain receiving such an onslaught indefinitely, of course, the attack cannot be dealt indefinitely either.

History: This is a classic skill derived from mounted and dismounted fighting in the Clan Wars. It was well known that raiding clans would ride their horses through villages, chopping through the helpless victims that were left out in the open. The only defenses found to be effective against it were armor, evasion, and (if you were brave enough) hewing the attacker or his mount likewise before they could run you through.

Gareth Numitor

Back to top Go down

Cleave Empty Re: Cleave

Post by Masurao Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:10 pm

WHOA.

A Spell or Skill cannot instantly kill in its effect.

Now, it can deal appropriate damage. And, a sword to the head's gonna be lethal anyway. But, you can't outright TELL people "If this hits you, you die."

Just remove the stuff about them being instant kills, and, we're good.

Masurao
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gareth Numitor Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:29 am

My intention was not necessarily against other players, but more against like beasts and NPCs, and actually fairly weak at that, as it can be dodged easily. It's actually a referance to the tales of John Carter on Mars (burroghs or bradbury, I can't remember which, the line just stuck in mind.)

If restricting it to NPCs and/or beasts isn't enough, that's fine, I'll figure something else out. I'm having a hard time seeing how a blade passing through a vital point doesn't result in death, so perhaps it could only be used for dismemberment, as in an arm or leg (visions of a black knight vs. King Arthur come to mind... "merely a flesh wound" ...?)

Gareth Numitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Masurao Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:24 pm

*LOL*

And, yeah, damage to something vital WOULD be lethal. I guess I misinterpreted. It's fine if ti does that. ...Y'just can't say it in the actual tech.

As for NPCs and whatnot, yeah, that makes sense. I've seen NPCs and Monsters fall like flies in some topics. Usually, it doesn't take much to kill one.

Does that help?

Masurao
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum