We have 28 registered users
The newest registered user is callousdiva11

Our users have posted a total of 1093 messages in 194 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 20 on Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:09 am

Tales of the inexperienced... and erratta...

Go down

Tales of the inexperienced... and erratta...

Post by Gareth Numitor on Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:39 am

Well, it was kind of wierd the last few months, getting excited to jump in on my first roll play forum. I had good guidance, and everything was ramping up quite well, I was having fun making a backstory, learning the ropes, and putting things together.

Over on a different site, however, things kind of wound down, as my energy to write was about tapped out. Between the holidays, getting sick, fanfic burnout, and whatnot I have to admit I ended up not even looking at this site for a month or so.

I havent written anything of any consequence since about mid january, and I was beginning to worry that I wouldnt be able to get back into writing again, which would be horrible for me.

I dont really know what happened. I had some time just sitting around, scrolled through my favorites folder while looking for car parts,.and found myself logging in and writing an entry!

It wasnt the grandios intro I had intended as Im stuck on a cell phone these days, but if I waited for the perfect time Id never get anything done. Anyway, going for broke, Im on my way.

For no particular reason other than maybe my fingers want to wander, I want to air some stuff about my experience at roll play and becoming introduced to this site.

I started out watching what little of the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon show when I could sneak it. This was the era of the eighties when RPGs were getting a bum rap due to some kids taking things too far supposedly, and my mom took it that the games were possesed or that Id hurt myself playing or something... So roll play or anything like it was expressibly forbidden.

But for some reason those "pick your path" books were A-OK, no problems with them. Never said mom was rational. Anyway, I had a very well rounded library as a young child, filled with Issac Asimov, Edgar Rice Burroughs... I probibly had a thousand books not counting three encyclopedias. But between the school and public libraries and all at least a full fourth to half of all my time spent reading was in pickapath books... Such was the appeal.

In my books, though, I had a roll play book, one of those adventure ones that you could make some choices but others were guided by dice roll, and you were supposed to keep track of provisions, stamina, damage and whatnot as you progressed through. I probibly went through the book three or four dozen times, trying to get the hang of the why for different stats and everything before my mom found it and burned it. I was eight.

Several years later I was exposed to Legend of Zelda on super nintendo at my cousin's house. I only had enough time to get killed fighting the first monster I came across, but it was intriguing and I wanted more.

Later I came across text based games such as Zork Quest, but as everyone was always talking about more graphic intensive games I ended up losing interest for a while. I later found a great little game that was graphical, but held to the classic stats, and I was instantly hooked. Played that game until the 5.25" floppy wore out!

It wasnt til I came across Return to Krondor that I found a throroughly enjoyable roll game. Sure it was linear, but I must have spent a thousand hours playing the first half of the game, where its all character development, fighting, and collecting. Fun!

I also got into CCGs along the way, but it took other people and as the band dispursed I fell out of practice.

All along Id wanted to get into some sort of RPG, but I didnt know anyone who.played. Now I actually know a couple players around, but everyone has grown up as well as me... The only time I have is what I can scrape together on my phone... That only leaves online stuff...

Then I bumped into someone who pointed me here, and tried to explain things. Im still not completely sure I understand all I need to, but Im getting there... Still, Im finding a big difference between what little I knew of the theory, playing computer based games, and forum play. In some ways Im apprehensive, but still excited nonetheless. Itll be interesting, but Ill have fun. Please let me know if Im screwing things up around here as things get going down the road.

Gareth Numitor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tales of the inexperienced... and erratta...

Post by Masurao on Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:07 pm

Don't worry about it too much.

We're pretty small, and laid back. We can help.

...Not to mention, we've had obligations elsewhere, and are just now getting back.

So, we're gonna get going. There's a storyline series of RPs going on, and, I can get some characters made to get you playing, if you decide not to join the main storyline.

Masurao
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gareth Numitor on Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:43 pm

I kinda got started I think...

What were you guys up to? Is it on another RP site?

Gareth Numitor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkness on Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:23 pm

Fixing up the chaos of a site that we had to run from due to insane owner, new owner now and we trying to help fix it. It on hold again though due to the new owner busy with getting married and what not *chuckles*
Darkness

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gareth Numitor on Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:49 am

Wow, dont hear that every day! Makes life interesting, though, Id guess.

I guess there is one thing Im missing... What is the "main storyline". I went through all the history and looked at some of the stories that were started... Is there one particular place I should look? I get the vague notion that there are some "goals" after a fashion, but things like siezing control of the crystals are only availible for certian classes, so I figure there are either it must be there are no real set "goals" of the "game", or theres something Im missing.

Also, whether its my writing skills being at low ebb right now or whatnot, I've seemed to have written myself into a corner/wall on the thread I started.

I started writing along the line of gaining some experience sparring with the warrior, or trading for food or money... But my character doesnt have much to trade and there's not much reason to spar. Im stuck, unless I just move along.

Look it over and see if I broke any commonly understood rules or if Im not "getting it" if you please.

Last edited by Gareth Numitor on Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added more reply)

Gareth Numitor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Celestria on Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:12 pm

It's okay. You're welcome to join in the main story or not as you want to.

The story we're playing through is the Journey that Lei'Ahree takes to each Nation in turn prior to her assuming control of Astraea and the Crystal there, along with Bahamut. There's some political aspects to the thing and there are several individuals (yet unintroduced in RP) who intend for the journey to have a sinister outcome.

We're landing in Eremaki right now. I finally got the thread start written, so if you wanna join it, it's as good a chance as any.

If you wanna do something different, though, we can build NPCs to help you. It's up to you.

[/center]
Celestria
Admin

Character sheet
Progression Points:
0/1000  (0/1000)

View user profile http://www.maracaegrizzley.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Masurao on Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:17 pm

...We should REALLY put (STORYLINE) in the name of Storyline topics.

Masurao
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gareth Numitor on Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:28 pm

Hmm... Another mystery revealed and partially resolved... Have to think for a bit....

Gareth Numitor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum