Heroes of the DragonQuest
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» Character Progression
Lightning Rod EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 1:38 am by Celestria

» List: Weapon Styles
Lightning Rod EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 1:31 am by Celestria

» List: Vocations
Lightning Rod EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 1:29 am by Celestria

» How to play the game
Lightning Rod EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 1:26 am by Celestria

» Building a Character
Lightning Rod EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 12:59 am by Celestria

» Hero Template
Lightning Rod EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 2:55 pm by Celestria

» Player Input Needed
Lightning Rod EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 4:38 am by Crucent

» Breaking the Monotony
Lightning Rod EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 1:48 pm by Crucent

» Clock of the Fates
Lightning Rod EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 2:34 pm by Ghost

Navigation
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Statistics
We have 28 registered users
The newest registered user is callousdiva11

Our users have posted a total of 1093 messages in 194 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 160 on Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:58 am

Lightning Rod

2 posters

Go down

Lightning Rod Empty Lightning Rod

Post by Gareth Numitor Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:36 pm

Name: Lightning Rod

Appearance: Fighter bows and plunges end of weapon into the earth, protecting all those within the radius of protection from lighting attacks as long as they keep their heads down below the top of the “Lightning Rod”. Uses one post to “erect” and one post to “take down” the Lightning Rod, however plunging the weapon into the earth can be a follow through from another maneuver, and removing the weapon from the ground can lead up to a defense or attack, nullifying Lightning Rod.

Weapon-type: Long metal objects (long swords, staffs, pipes, etc). The item must be kept in the ground for the effect to manifest, effectively removing the weapon from battle while it is being used as a Lightning Rod.

Effect: Protects fighter and others nearby from lightning. All lightning based attacks and defenses are neutralized within the protection radius. NOTE: When using Lightning Rod, you may not use a Lightning based skill, spell, attack, or defense, as it will be neutralized by the Lightning Rod.

Range: Range is dependant on SP used in 5 SP increments with a 10SP minimum. For every 5 SP, range goes up 5 feet in diameter.

Skill Point Cost: 10sp minimum for 5 ft radius of protection, 5SP for each additional 10 feet of diameter beyond minimum. (Example: use 120 SP for 120 foot diameter circle of protection. All those that crouch below the highest point of the weapon are unaffected by all lightning effects, spells, defenses and attacks.)

Special Notes: There is no maximum range (within reason) as it depends on the user’s Skill to attain large areas of protection, and only as high as the object extends from the ground. Unless the user is able to Duel Wield from a crouched position, the character performing the Lightning Rod is otherwise defenseless and immobile, unless they wish to leave the item behind. An item that is left standing as a Lightning Rod can be taken by an enemy or other character, as though it had been dropped, or “attacked” and knocked down by a non-lightning based attack.
Obviously, a metal staff of sufficient length would not require one to stoop or kneel, just as a dagger or short sword would be too short for someone to lie below.

History: In the Highlands of Raonaid, lightning storms were the single greatest danger in the open plains. When a wanderer known as Daggfin, with his steel walking staff in hand, was caught out in the open during a thunderstorm, he found that the bolts of lightning would strike the staff and not him. For a time he tried to pawn his walking staff off as a Magic Staff, however, as the story spread it was found that nearly anything made of metal in contact with the ground would act as a mediator between the forces of Lightning and Earth, and protect those who knelt nearby.

Last edited by Gareth Numitor on Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Modifying as per admin.)

Gareth Numitor

Back to top Go down

Lightning Rod Empty Re: Lightning Rod

Post by Masurao Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:14 pm

...Creative. I like this.

...Because of the massive draw, though, I'm not sure whether or not it's a spell.

Either way, SP is done in units of 5. So, that needs fixed.

Another thing, if there's an existing metal item nearby, can THAT be used, in place of a weapon?

Masurao
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gareth Numitor Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:22 am

That would make sense, I'd just been thinking in terms of a balenced defense for a fighter. Do you think it sets up the potential for abuse? i.e.: a mage with a steel staff who's only weakness was Lightning? would it provide too good of a shield for that character, as it would not prevent the mage from spell attacks as long as they weren't Lightning based.

I made the changes anyway, so you could see what it would look like. As far as SP costs, are you thinking it's balanced or too high for basicly bending natural rules a smidge? I had thought that MP was for spells and SP were for weapon skills. Like I said, I'm new at this.

Gareth Numitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Masurao Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:27 pm

Oh, right.

Well, SP I'm not too clear on, but, I think it's ALSO in units of 5.

Now, with the example provided, it DOES seem kinda moddy. BUT, there's no rule against it, and it kinda forces logic to be used in combat.

...Imma approve this.

Masurao
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum