Heroes of the DragonQuest
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» Character Progression
Growth EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 1:38 am by Celestria

» List: Weapon Styles
Growth EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 1:31 am by Celestria

» List: Vocations
Growth EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 1:29 am by Celestria

» How to play the game
Growth EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 1:26 am by Celestria

» Building a Character
Growth EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 12:59 am by Celestria

» Hero Template
Growth EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 2:55 pm by Celestria

» Player Input Needed
Growth EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 4:38 am by Crucent

» Breaking the Monotony
Growth EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 1:48 pm by Crucent

» Clock of the Fates
Growth EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 2:34 pm by Ghost

Navigation
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Statistics
We have 28 registered users
The newest registered user is callousdiva11

Our users have posted a total of 1093 messages in 194 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 160 on Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:58 am

Growth

2 posters

Go down

Growth Empty Growth

Post by Gareth Numitor Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:27 pm

Magic and Spellwork

Name: Grow

Appearance: Gareth (caster) speaks some encouraging words to aid his plants to grow.

Class/Purpose: Mixed

Elemental Associations: Earth, Water (Life can be substituted for one but not both)

Effect: Caster can aid growth of plants, at a rate inversely proportional to the number of plants. Five plants will grow to maturity in three posts as a base rate. A single plant will grow five times faster, while a whole field (crop) would only see a slight increase in quality or speed of growth. Trees and bushes (woody plants) are not considered plants for the purposes of this tier 1 spell. Vines, however, such as watermelon or other "Annuals" are completely within possibility.

Range: Range varies according to the number of plants Grown, however the spell cannot be used for more than a single field of crops at any given time, whereupon the effect will be barely noticeable (strengthening what's already there). On a small number of plants in a small area, however, the effect per plant is greatly improved.

Magic Cost: 5mp* (*Additional MP can be thrown at it for greater effect, but this is aimed at Farmers with little magic available. For those without Earth AND Water the MP is doubled.

Special Notes: (Any special requirements?)
Mage trained? Not really, this is a farming tool. Water or Earth must be affiliated for even a slight effect, but both are needed for full effect. Additionally, Life can be substituted for one element or the other for full effect.
Homeland: Any farmer can learn it, as long as they know the ins and outs of Earth and Water. It holds it origins in the highlands of Raonaid, but has spread throughout the nearby nations.

History: This is a farming spell, but it could be used for other purposes. Historically, however, Farmers like Gareth learned this spell from generations before them as they worked their fields, coaxing their crops to be the best they can be. More powerful users may be able to get their crops to mature even faster, but if they spend all their time dealing with shortcuts they won't learn to harvest those crops, and may end up with spoilage before they get to the market!
Gareth learned this trick from his grandfather before he passed away, as his father was too busy gallivanting around the world to learn it for himself. This little piece of magic was all that Gareth really held on to, as it was all he needed for his farm. It now helps provide food for he and his son as they travel.

Gareth Numitor

Back to top Go down

Growth Empty Re: Growth

Post by Masurao Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:59 pm

Hmmm...

Nothing WRONG with it, but, what's the practical approach?

...Unless you, like, have a Plantoid summon. ...Which makes this a badass combo.

Masurao
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gareth Numitor Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:43 am

I didn't know if we had to come up with food on the road, and this was the main purpose initally. The games/books I've had experience (little as it is), you had to have provisions, and this was my solution.

That said, I also wondered if it would work for other situations, such as an equivilant to "strangleweed" (from ElfQuest) or trumpeter vine being used offensively to immobilize an opponent, or vines grown up an obsticle to aid in climbing.

As to the summon, when I get those figured out, that would be a possiblity as Gareth's son is a summoner to an extent. The magic end of things is kind of out of my exprience, as even my few "Magic" decks were more mechanical and brute force in nature.

Figured it fit the farming theme, but again, as I'm not sure what I'm going to find on the "road" in Gareth's travels (and don't know if the goal of the whole game is to gain control of the Crystals or just to have fun and survive wandering around), I'm trying to come up with "universal" and flexible stuff I can use creatively. What do you think?

Gareth Numitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Masurao Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:19 pm

*nod* I like the idea.

You can kinda write around things like that, but, yeah, it can work.

Approved.

(Strangleweed genesis would require its own spell... ...I dunno what trumpeterweed is.)

Masurao
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gareth Numitor Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:48 pm

Curiosity question: by genisis are you meaning that any plant could be created, and it would require a separate spell for each plant type to generate the plant for Growth to work on? Thats a neat thing I hadnt really thought about. I figured Gareth would have a few seeds left over from farming and would find more seeds along the way, things that are naturally growing such as the heather. Perhaps Ill have to look at genesis at the future. I need to start simple for now.

By trumpeter vine I was refering to the real world trumpeter vine that grows around here. It can be grown from seed, transplanted, or whatnot. It is a parasite much like strangleweed in elfquest, just normally slow growing. It finds something it can climb, wraps around it and slowly grows thicker, usually killing whatever it was. It has large orange trumpet shaped flowers that cover it about three months out of the year. Very unique and pretty in their own way. My grandpa planted some, or it grew wild, next to a 15 foot pine and it covered it and killed it in three years.

Gareth Numitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Masurao Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:18 am

To answer your question?

I KNOW what Strangleweed is. As DRASTIC as it is, it'd almost have to be a spell unto itself.

As for the other plants? If the spell needs seeds, it behooves you to make a Seed Pouch. You would, likely, have limitless amounts of more mundane plants, as well as having certain numbers of plants avaliable per topic.

Like, seeds for healing herbs, flashbang nuts, and other cool plant stuff. ...I've even seen berries that can explode with ballistic force.

Masurao
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum